Once you’ve seen one medical drama, you’ve seen them all. But since so many people are still suckers for them, BuzzFeed has compiled a list of cliches that happen in every one of the genre’s shows. Here are 12 (for the full list, check out the link):
- Everyone in the hospital has slept with everybody else and the secret relationships cause DRAMA every season.
- Every season, there’s one favorite patient that appears to be getting better until there’s a complication no one sees coming.
- There’s always one doctor who comes from a family of surgeons, but they’re trying to escape their family’s legacy.
- More often than not, there’s a massive accident, like a chemical spill or a ferry boat crash, that causes widespread panic in the ER.
- The hospital on-call rooms never function as a place for doctors to sleep, but rather as a perfect hookup spot.
- At some point, one doctor defies the odds and saves a patient in a crazy way, whether it’s rescuing them from a storm drain or performing surgery in a stuck elevator.
- Once an episode, a doctor yells, “They’re coding” and/or “Clear,” while trying to save a patient.
- Every season, there’s one medical mystery that causes the doctors to go into a frenzy.
- There’s sometimes one doctor who is hiding something that could keep them from operating, usually a hand tremor.
- One doctor in a position of power has a “tough love”
- All of the doctors hang out at the same bar after work because nobody seems to have any friends outside of the hospital.
- A family member of a doctor will unexpectedly arrive and shock everyone who works there, making for the perfect episode cliffhanger.
We also found this video on YouTube recorded by a real doctor critiquing Grey’s Anatomy!