Attic electrical fire causes $10k in damage to Columbus home

An electrical fire caused more than $10,000 in damages to a California Street home Monday morning, according to Columbus firefighters.

The fire department reports that it was called to a home in the 1900 block of California Street at 1:53 a.m. this morning on a report of smoke. A smoke alarm had alerted the residents and they had evacuated before firefighters arrived. There was light smoke coming from the exterior gable vents. Inside, firefighters found smoke coming from a bedroom closet that had attic access. After getting through a kitchen ceiling and outside wall, firefighters found charred wooden joists, and heavily damaged electrical wires.

After about two hours, firefighters were able to return to their station. But about 9:25 a.m. they were called back again and found smoldering debris in the attic area.

Due to the damages, the occupants of the residence will be displaced until repairs are made.

Photo courtesy of Columbus Fire Department.