Firefighters extinguish grill fire at downtown Columbus diner

A grill fire was put out and then reignited yesterday morning at Jill’s Downtown Diner in Columbus.

Columbus firefighters were called to the restaurant in the 400 block of Seventh Street at 10:57 a.m. Wednesday morning and were told by workers that a small fire had ignited on the grill.

The fire had been extinguished, but as firefighters inspected the grill area, the fire started again behind the grill top. They turned off the gas supply and used two extinguishers to fully put it out. Firefighters believe that an accumulation of grease contributed to the fire.

Damages were limited to the grill area and cooking hood system. No damage estimate is yet available. No one was injured and the incident was reported to the Bartholomew County Department of Health.