Mobile home destroyed in fire

Photo courtesy of Columbus Fire Dept.

A mobile home was heavily damaged in a Monday afternoon fire.

Columbus Firefighters were called to the 2600 Block of Milmar Court at approximately 3:52 p.m. Engine Co. 2, the first fire unit to arrive on the scene, reported heavy smoke conditions. Capt. Mike Wilson, CFD spokesman, says flames had burned through a portion of the roof. Within thirty minutes the fire was deemed under control. Small isolated pockets of fire continued to smolder until crews could remove stored items inside the home. Due to the amount of possessions located in the home, firefighters cut an access point in an exterior wall to aid in removing the items out. As items were being moved out, firefighters were able to locate smoldering pockets of fire and fully extinguish the flames.

The homeowner reportedly told investigators that his adult son was working underneath the home to thaw a frozen water line when smoke was discovered under the home in the area of a dryer vent. After seeing smoke on the exterior of the home, the son entered that trailer to attempt to find the source. That’s when he pulled a dryer away from the wall and saw flames behind it.

The home and contents are considered a total loss with a damage estimate of $70,000. No one was hurt. The cause of the fire is undetermined, but the investigation is ongoing.