Several Indiana lakes are under a recreational advisory after high levels of blue-green algae were detected there.
The Indiana Department of Environmental Management says nine recreation areas are included in the warning including:
- The Quakertown and Mounds areas at Brookville Lake
- Racoon Lake at Cecil M. Harden Lake
- Hardy Lake’s recreation area
- The Fairfax and Paynetown recreation areas at Monroe Lake
- Whitetown Memorial Park at Whitewater Lake
- Ouabache park at Kunkel Lake
- Potato Creek Park at Worster Lake.
IDEM says people should not drink the water and suggests taking a bath or shower with warm soapy water after coming in contact with lake water. You should also not use lake water for cooking or bathing.
Avoid letting pets swim in or drink the lake water. The blue-green algae can cause liver failure in dogs and has been tied recently to three canine deaths in North Carolina and Georgia.